Bill DeSimone (Congruent Exercise) is a personal trainer known for his sensible, biomechanics-based approach to strength training and is the go-to biomechanics expert for some of the best high-intensity trainers in the world like Dr Doug McGuff and Skyler Tanner. Starting as a trainer in 1983 in New York City, in 2006 he opened his own studio, Optimal Exercise, in central New Jersey. He is the author of Congruent Exercise: How to Make Weight Training Easier on Your Joints (Kindle version); and the upcoming Joint-Friendly Fitness: Your Guide to the Optimal Exercise Program. He has presented at national conferences, provided in-services for private studios, and consults online or by phone with individual exercisers.
In this episode, we cover:
Bill’s severe shoulder injury and subsequent surgery, which left him very debilitated but gave him a whole new perspective and appreciation for physical therapy.
How to think about risk in recreational sports as you age and how to incorporate “play” activity safely into your lifestyle.
How to get the most out of clients during workouts and how to motivate loved ones to exercise.
… and much, much more
- Listen to it on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
Learn how to grow your high intensity strength training business – Click Here
This episode is brought to you by HITuni, HITuni have partnered with Bill DeSimone to launch a new course Functional Training: A biomechanics approach to integrating FT with HIT. The course demonstrates joint stabilization techniques, that are a must to enhance muscle stimulation in intermediate and advanced clients. Adding corrective movements and stretching to the mix will address the muscle imbalances and postural deficits many individuals suffer from. Finally, integrated movements and power plyometrics can be used to create more challenging programmes for athletes and advanced trainees.
Bill DeSimone, the biomechanics expert in our community, demystifies, distils and refines Functional Training, eliminating the ineffective and dangerous. What is presented is the legitimate, the biomechanically-sound, joint-friendly and workout-enhancing elements of Functional Training that assimilate perfectly with the HIT model.
You will learn how to use stabilization techniques, corrective movements, integrated movements, power plyometric exercises, recovery techniques and how, when and with whom to adapt a classic HIT routine into various HIT-Functional Training hybrid routines. Get 10% OFF with Code CW10 – Learn more HERE
This episode is also brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXFit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field – Learn more HERE
Selected Links from the Episode
- Nautilus Duo Squat Machine
- Nautilus, Inc
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Walking football
- Gracie Jiu Jitsu
- Discover Strength
- Frozen shoulder
- Body by Science: A Research Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week by Dr Doug McGuff and John R. Little ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Inform Fitness
- 42 Comparing and Contrasting Congruent Exercise Methodologies (Inform Fitness Podcast with Bill DeSimone)
- 20 Biomechanics Expert and Author, Bill Desimone (Inform Fitness Podcast with Bill DeSimone)
- Congruent Exercise: How To Make Weight Training Easier On Your Joints by Bill DeSimone ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Kettlebells ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Physical Culture
- Progressive Resistance Exercise. Technic and Medical Application by T.L. & Wtkins, A.L. DeLorme ( Amazon UK )
- Super Slow: The Ultimate Exercise Protocol by Ken Hutchins ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Nautilus Nitro Leg Press
- A Guide to Moment Arm Exercise
- The New High-Intensity Training by Dr Ellington Darden ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Body Fat Breakthrough: Tap the Muscle-Building Power of Negative Training and Lose Up to 30 Pounds in 30 Days! By Dr Ellington Darden ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Biomechanics For Dummies by Steve McCaw ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Kinesiology for Dummies by Steve Glass ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Pocket Anatomy of the Moving Body by Professor John Brewer ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- The Hidden Mechanics of Exercise: Molecules That Move Us by Christopher M. Gillen ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Arthur Jones
- Mike Petrella (Listen to my episode with Mike here)
- Steve Maxwell (Listen to my episodes with Steve here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3)
- Andy Magness (Listen to my episode with Andy here)
- Laval St Germain (Listen to my episode with Laval here)
- Mike Mentzer
- Dr Doug McGuff (Listen to my episodes with Doug here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Adam Zickerman (Listen to my episode with Adam here)
- Luke Carlson (Listen to my episodes with Luke here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5)
- Dr Wayne Westcott (Listen to my episode with Wayne here: Part 1 and Part 2)
- Dr Ellington Darden
- Paul Wylie
- Ken Hutchins