Simon Melov, PhD, heads the Buck Institute’s Genomic Core, which explores the role of the energy-making units inside cells, the mitochondria. Simon’s research focus is in identifying molecular hallmarks of aging to guide the development of anti-aging therapies.
Melov received his PhD in Biochemistry from the University of London in the UK. He held positions at Emory University in Atlanta and at the University of Colorado in Boulder before joining the faculty of the Buck Institute as an associate professor in 1999.
Other research interests include the age-related bone disorder osteoporosis, age-related heart disease, the role of methylation in the aging human genome, and developing molecular techniques to better understand single cell changes with age.
In a landmark study, Melov and collaborators showed that the more vigorous pattern of gene expression found in young adults could be partially restored in older adults who followed a strength training exercise program for 6 months.
Near the beginning, Simon talks about the impressive number of muscle biopsies carried out by Dr. Mark Tarnopolsky. The audio drops out for a nano-second when Simon says at least 20,000!
- The benefits of resistance training for health and anti-aging
- What exercise is considered optimal for health-span and longevity?
- The pros and cons of rodent-based studies
- …. and much, much more
- Listen to it on iTunes
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”
Grow your high-intensity training business HERE
Would you like to support Corporate Warrior? Please see my Patreon HERE
This episode is brought to you by ARXFit.com, ARX are the most innovative, efficient and effective all-in-one exercise machines I have ever seen. I was really impressed with my ARX workout. The intensity and adaptive resistance were unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. I love how the machine enables you to increase the negative load to fatigue target muscles more quickly and I love how the workouts are effortlessly quantified. The software tracks maximum force output, rate of work, total amount of work done and more in front of you on-screen, allowing you to compete with your pervious performance, to give you and your clients real-time motivation.
As well as being utilised by many HIT trainers to deliver highly effective and efficient workouts to their clients, ARX comes highly recommended by world-class trainers and brands including Bulletproof, Tony Robbins, and Ben Greenfield Fitness. To find out more about ARX and get $500 OFF install, please go to ARXfit.com and mention Corporate Warrior in the how did you hear about us field – ORDER HERE
Selected Links from the Episode
- Resistance Exercise Reverses Aging in Human Skeletal Muscle
- Exercise: The Real Cure For Aging
- The One-Minute Workout: Science Shows a Way to Get Fit That’s Smarter, Faster, Shorter by Dr. Martin Gibala with Christopher Shulgan ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Nautilus, Inc.
- McMaster University
- The One-Minute Workout Designed by Scientists — Dr. Martin Gibala (The Tim Ferriss Show)
- Standing Desk ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Dr. Teresa Liu-Ambrose on The Cognitive Health Benefits of High Intensity Training