Mark Houghton is a pro bodybuilder, BNBF (British National Bodybuilding Federation) British Over-40s and Overall Masters Champion. Mark made his professional debut at the DFAC (Natural Bodybuilding) world finals and placed 3rd in the Masters Class.
Early on in his training, Mark was introduced to the work of Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer. Throughout his training career, Mark has utilised heavy-duty split routines, high and low volume/frequency and zone training (J-Reps) using mostly Nautilus and MedX equipment.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Mark’s most productive routines
- How Mark’s routines have changed throughout his training career
- Mark’s training inspirations
- How to use HIT to prepare for bodybuilding contests
- How some stuff just doesn’t matter (and how to relax about it)
- High-Carb diets
- … and much more
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like to hear from another HIT Bodybuilder? Check out my episode with John Heart where we discuss all of the details of John’s pre-contest workout routine, frequency, volume and diet. Listen here or stream below:
This episode is brought to you by Health IQ: A life insurance company that helps health conscious people like runners, cyclists, weight lifters, HIT participants and more, get a lower rate on their life insurance.
Go to healthiq.com/cwarrior to support the show and see if you qualify. If you take care of yourself: do smart strength training, eat well, and you’re life insurance company doesn’t seem like they care, there’s an answer for you: Health IQ actually gives savings to people who take care of themselves. About 56% of Health IQ customers save between 4-33% on their life insurance. Health IQ customers can save up to a third because physically active people have a 56% lower risk of heart disease, 20% lower risk of cancer and a 58% lower risk of diabetes compared to people who are inactive, but your life insurance company probably just doesn’t care, you care, and there are companies out there that care.
To see if you qualify, get your free quote today at healthiq.com/cwarrior or mention the promo code CWarrior when you talk to a health IQ agent.
FREE HIT workout progress sheet and 20 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr. Doug McGuff, Drew Baye, and Bill DeSimone – Click Here
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: How do you track your training performance week-to-week? Let me know in the comments below.
Selected Links from the Episode
- Five A Day Soul 45s (Mark’s Soul Music business)
- MedX Exercise Equipment
- London Underground
- National Rail
- Physical Culture Gymnasium
- Nautilus, Inc
- Kieser Training
- Heavy Duty by Mike Mentzer ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )
- Mike Mentzer’s most productive routine
- Zone Training (J-Reps)
- Muscleworks Gym
- X-Force machines
- Dr Doug McGuff – Volume and Frequency
- The Casio watch I use to track training performance ( Amazon US / Amazon UK )