“Your mind is for having ideas, not holding them.”
― David Allen
As this podcast expands from productivity in fitness to productivity in fitness, lifestyle and business, David Allen is the ideal guest to help launch this new wave of extremely helpful content to help make you more productive in all aspects of your life and help you fulfil your personal destiny.
One of the world’s most influential thinkers on productivity, David Allen’s (@gtdguy & Instagram – dallen45) 30 years experience as a management consultant and executive coach have earned him the titles of “personal productivity guru” by Fast Company and one of America’s top 5 executive coaches by Forbes Magazine. His bestselling book, the groundbreaking “Getting Things Done”, and his company, The David Allen Company, are dedicated to teaching corporations and individuals how to stay relaxed and productive in our fast paced world. The American Management Association ranked him in the top ten business leaders in 2014.
See more from David here:
In this interview you will learn:
- Why setting goals might not always be the most effective strategy.
- How to prioritise actions towards a specific goal.
- The physical and soft tools that David uses to be more productive.
- How to securely store sensitive data.
- How to capture ideas and turn them into reality.
- Much, much more.
- Listen on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Would you like to learn more about productivity in the context of meditation, fitness and nutrition? Check out my interview with entrepreneur and HIT master personal trainer, Simon Shawcross. Stream below or right-click-here to download.
These episodes are brought to you by Hituni.com, providers of the best online courses in high intensity training that come highly recommended by Dr Doug McGuff and Discover Strength CEO, Luke Carlson. Course contributors include world class exercise experts like Drew Baye, Ellington Darden and Skyler Tanner. There are courses for both trainers and trainees. So even if you’re not a trainer but someone who practices HIT, this course can help you figure out how to improve your progress and get best results. Check out Hituni.com, add the course you want to your shopping cart and enter the coupon code ‘CW10’ to get 10% off your purchase!
For my FREE eBook with 6 podcast transcripts with guests like Dr Doug McGuff, Drew Baye and Skyler Tanner – Click here ????
- What are the GTD principles? [3:40]
- How productive are most people generally speaking? [6:10]
- When is it appropriate to set goals? [7:20]
- Why do so many people (me included) start with a goal in mind and achieve something different? [9:25]
- How does David prioritise tasks towards a specific goal? [11:25]
- How did David develop the GTD methodology? [13:55]
- How much resistance does GTD get from people? [17:00]
- What software tools does David use to be more productive? [18:12]
- How I got David on the show [20:15]
- What type of people have the most success with GTD? [22:14]
- What well-known people are using GTD? [25:23]
- What other software tools does David rely on? [26:15]
- How does David store/remember very sensitive data? [34:10]
- How much does an untidy environment negatively impact productivity? [36:12]
- The importance of separating the act of storing ideas from making sense of those ideas [38:50]
- Why do people come up with amazing ideas in the shower? [40:54]
- David’s lifestyle productivity tips [45:35]
- How does David structure or prioritise his life? [47:12]
- How to take control of email [50:25]
- The importance of defining one’s horizons/values [53:40]
- David’s email management system [58:40]
- David’s current progress towards his business goals [59:49]
- Why David doesn’t currently read many books [1:01:20]
- In terms of productivity, what has David changed his mind about in the last year? [1:05:35]
- Is mono-tasking proven to be more effective than multi-tasking? [1:07:00]
- What physical tools does David use to be more productive? [1:08:35]
- Have any books on productivity informed GTD? [1:10:15]
- David’s top 3 business books [1:13:20]
- How does David select the information he consumes? [1:14:50]
- How many projects does David manage at any one time? [1:15:50]
- David’s top tip for productivity [1:19:05]
Selected Links from the Episode
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials) by Peter Drucker (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Pareto Law
- Lotus Notes
- Intentional Software
- New York Times International
- Dutch News
- David Allen’s interview on London Real Part 1
- GTD Podcast – Daniel Pink and David Allen
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- First Things First by Stephen Covey (Amazon US / Amazon UK)
- Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China by Evan Osnos (Amazon US / Amazon UK)